Monday, February 25, 2013

#70 Thursdays In Heaven


When I got to the Pearly Gates
(My reward I earned as a man)
They gave me a pack of Camels,
And smoked oysters in a can.

I took the bus to the pool hall,
On the seedy side of town,
On a random Thursday morning,
I just kind of hung around.

There's a guy in a Marlboro tracksuit
Telling tales of Vietnam,
And a guy yelling into a cell phone,
Disagreements with his mom.

I lunched on convenience-store pizza
With my last five dollar bill,
But later I met a dead-beat,
We got high and watched Dr. Phil.

In the evening, I walked to the highway,
And headed out of town.
Eternity's nice on the weekends,
But the weekdays get you down.

2 comments:

matt at shadow of iris said...

Yeah, heaven ain't all it's cracked up to be ...

This is an excellent poem, btw.

Donald Watkins said...

I always enjoy your writing. This is good...keep it coming!

About Me

My photo
I am the author of 5 books: Android Down, Firewood for Cannibals, The Cubicles of Madness, Robot Stories, and most recently, Various Meats and Cheeses. I live and write in Michigan. My website is at danmanning.com