Sunday, October 16, 2022

book quotes


"...when Ulysses on the Larboard shunned Charybdis."

Paradise Lost, Milton 

“Leisure follows the consumption pattern,” Alice said, “and is managed by an industry that sells boredom-compensating commodities.”

The Quick and The the Dead by Joy Williams

"Let peace brood over this carass"
Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson 

"She had a mature distrust of the trivial, the facile and the vulgar."

Tender is the Night, F Scott Fitzgerald 

"A teahouse amid the cherry blossoms, on the way to death"

The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt

"We are dining in a room with a bed in it. I am disgusted with life."

"I am so; I do my work! the rest is not my affair."

"Like two goats of darkness upon the bridge of the infinite."

Les Miserables, Victor Hugo

"... they already represented all human society; on one side envy, on the other disdaine."

"The good must be innocent"

Les Miserables, Victor Hugo

"Olympian Zeus: your urgings rule the world."

The Iliad, Homer

"...the perfectly indifferent chill night air..."

"... sharing a joke with nothingness."

"He was not reading, or sleeping, but basking like a creature gorged with existence."

To the Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the author of 5 books: Android Down, Firewood for Cannibals, The Cubicles of Madness, Robot Stories, and most recently, Various Meats and Cheeses. I live and write in Michigan. My website is at danmanning.com