Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Internets are (were) down.

The Internet is down. At least, it is for me. It’s 8:16 PM Monday. I can ping my default gateway. I can ping my DNS servers. I know, on faith alone, that I’ll be connected again, probably within the next half hour.

But what if it never came up again? What if the Internet disappeared overnight, never to work again? I’d be out of a job. Lots of people would be out of work, wouldn’t they? I mean, how much would that screw the world up, if the Internet just stopped working? If the Tubes were permanently Filled?

My buddy called and I answered, “Yes, it’s down.” I didn’t even have to ask him why he was calling. We have the same ISP.

Today I hooked up one of those Motorola Q phones. I hooked up a DSL line that wasn’t connected yet, but I had to clean up the PC and put in some AV software that worked.

Then I replaced a CD player.

Well, as you can see, the Internets are back up.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the author of 5 books: Android Down, Firewood for Cannibals, The Cubicles of Madness, Robot Stories, and most recently, Various Meats and Cheeses. I live and write in Michigan. My website is at danmanning.com