Wednesday, January 17, 2007

An open Letter to Movie Directors Everywhere

Okay: I like movies. But there's one type of scene that is telegraphed no matter who is directing: The auto accident. Every movie I see, there are certain camera angles in cars that scream: "Okay, here comes an 'unexpected' auto accident!"

When I'm watching a movie, and there's a scene in a vehicle where they characters are just chatting about mundane day-to-day stuff, or even having dialog that moves the plot along, nine times out of ten I can say "car crash coming" and be right. You can just tell.

So movie directors, if you have to have a car crash, make sure to have some scenes in vehicles that DON'T have a car crash, so the viewers will get used to seeing the characters in cars, so when there IS a crash, it's like, "holy crap, didn't see that coming."

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the author of 5 books: Android Down, Firewood for Cannibals, The Cubicles of Madness, Robot Stories, and most recently, Various Meats and Cheeses. I live and write in Michigan. My website is at danmanning.com