Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Metamorphosis

The Metamorphosis The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
meh. I know there's supposed to be a bunch of symbolic hoo-haw in this book, but it was really about a guy who turns into a bug. The treatment he receives by his family, his boss (who comes to the house to figure out why he isn't at work) and the boarders is a realistic portrayal of how people treat other people who are different or deficient in some way. Society will not accept you if you turn into a bug, or if you do something that does not conform with the status quo. Anywhoo, this story was okay. There's a bunch of critical essays in this volume, but I didn't read them because the critics started talking about Jesus and stuff.

But as a pure story, it was very well done. Worth a read since it is so incredibly short, yet the perfect length.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the author of 5 books: Android Down, Firewood for Cannibals, The Cubicles of Madness, Robot Stories, and most recently, Various Meats and Cheeses. I live and write in Michigan. My website is at danmanning.com