Saturday, January 05, 2008

generic blog post on Saturday Night

The place where we went to shoot pool Thursday was one of those working class joints with one pool table, two booths, a few chairs, and a bar in the dark corner away from the windows. The waitress was an aging beauty with too much red lipstick and a baseball cap and ponytail. The pool table was slightly warped, and the ball would move slightly toward the door, where an overweight kid who barely looked old enough to drink checked IDs at the door. They started karaoke at nine and some gal in tight jeans and frizzy hair sang a Crystal Gayle song. Playing pool, I actually made a jump shot to sink the six ball into the side pocket. I also made a bank shot to sink the eight ball. These things have never happened to me before. But I scratched a lot and everybody let me know about it. We got out of there early, and we were back by ten.

I had a laptop to reformat, and I was doing the reformat and left for awhile and came back and it was dead and it wouldn't start. The battery recharge light wouldn't come on. I took the entire thing apart in a panic before I finally called the owner and asked if she'd had problems charging the battery. "Oh yeah," she said. She'd forgot to mention that little detail, how you had to hold the power cord "just so" to make it charge the battery. Dammit. Not only was the operating system trashed, the screen was stained from smoke and there were seeds or something in the keyboard and I cleaned all that out and now it shines like new with a pure OS in a filthy apartment.

Today I took the girls and my niece and nephew sledding at Proven trails where we were lucky to escape with our lives because the snow was packed solid on this steep hill with solid trees at the bottom and if you don't steer carefully you get a face full of pine and possibly a broken skull or fractured bone. No one got hurt and after that irresponsible Uncle-ing I went and got KFC for everybody.

I love it when the in-laws visit, they are cool in-laws, but after having anyone visiting for awhile, the house seems huge after they leave. So now I live in a big house.

I'm just glad that finally, FINALLY, the holidays are over. I have lots of work already lined up for next week, so I'm pretty happy about everything and everybody.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the author of 5 books: Android Down, Firewood for Cannibals, The Cubicles of Madness, Robot Stories, and most recently, Various Meats and Cheeses. I live and write in Michigan. My website is at danmanning.com